Enable WebSocket Protocol in IIS
If you want to use WebSockets with IIS8 you need to enabled it. This step by step guide will show you how to enable WebSocket Protocol on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Enable WebSocket Protocol in Windows 8
- Open "Control Panel
- Open "Turn Windows features on or off
- Expand "Internet Information Services"
- Expand "World Wide Web Services"
- Expand "Application Development Features
- Check WebSocket Protocol and click "OK"
Enable WebSocket Protocol in Windows 2012 server
- Open "Server Manager"
- Click on "Manage" in the right corner"
- Click "Add Roles and Feature"
- Go to "Installation Type in the Wizard"
- Select "Role-based or feature installation and click "Next"
- Go to "Server Roles"
- Expand "Web Server(IIS)"
- Expand "Web Server"
- Expand "Application Development"
- Check WebSocket Protocol and click "Next"
- Click on "Install"
If you running a web role in Windows Azure you don't need to activate it, it's already done!